Getting Started - Home Page
INTRODUCTION: This week, we shall see that God is also particular as to how we use our possessions.
T-1 Who gives us power to get wealth? Deut 8:18
1. God gives us power to get wealth.
2. This is very logical: in the Psalms 24:1 we read that the earth and everything in it belongs to the Lord.
T-2 If God owns everything, is it possible that we could misuse His possessions?
1. We can rob God not only in tithes but also in offerings.
a) By robbing God, we break the eighth commandment, "Thou shalt not steal."
b) As a result, we cannot receive His blessings.
2. The tithe should be brought into God's storehouse.
3. If we return to the Lord His tithes and give offerings on a planned basis, we have God's word that we shall receive more than we expect.
4. As a further promise, He will protect us as well as our possessions.
T-3 What exactly is a tithe? Lev 27:30,32
1. A "tithe" is defined as one tenth of our possessions.
2. We are to return tithe on all of our increase.
T-4 What was the tithe in Biblical times used for? Numbers 18:20,21
1. Tithe was given to pay those who had no inheritance and were set aside for God's service in the tabernacle.
T-5 What was the tithe used for in the Christian era? I Corth 9:13,14
1. Those who preach the gospel-ministers-should live of the gospel.
2. The tithes are for the purpose of supporting the ministry.
T-6 Which portion of our increase should be returned to the Lord? Proverbs 3:9,10
1. We should return to God His portion first.
2. Verse 10 tells us we will have plenty left.
T-7 Did Jesus endorse the paying of tithe? Matt 23:23
1. We should be careful to pay an honest tithe.
2. However, our Christian lifestyle should be consistent in every area.
3. Religion is a total way of life, a balance.
T-8 When should we think of God in terms of our possessions, which God has lent us?
1. If we seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness first, He is well able to take care of our temporal needs.
2. We will not only receive our reward now but in the world to come.
T-9 What about other ways to use our money, should we avoid taxes or paying debts, shouldn't God get all our money? Mark 12:17. God expects His followers to be good citizens.
T-10 What about the poor? Proverbs 19:17 Yes, in addition to tithe we should give offerings to help the poor, for evangelism, and for building churches and schools. That amount is between you and how God blesses in your life but you don't need money 'sitting' around - give 'all'. 2 Corinthians 8:1-7 Not that God commands everyone to sell everything and live on the streets. But give all that you don't need.
T-11 God only wants us to give because we want to. Proverbs 19:17; 2 Corinthians 9:7
May we learn to put God first in our lives so that He can bless us as He would like to.
PREVIEW: Next lesson, we shall talk about the longest time prophecy in all the Bible - "The 2300 days."